Wednesday, February 10, 2010

I keep hearing that web design is a good career for single parents, is that true?

Can you make enough working from home if you learn the right skills?I keep hearing that web design is a good career for single parents, is that true?
It depends on your skills and how you market yourself. Honestly, there are still sooooo many people out there who think that making a website is complicated and magical that they will pay big bucks for you to do, in the grand spectrum of things, very little work. I have done it now and then on the side to make extra cash.





But then again to be fair, I also have several good programs to do design... Dreamweaver, Photohop,Flash, and several video editing and animation programs. So I don't have to invest in all that. I also have a nice computer... and I have been doing web design since the late 90's. So I know my design.





I also know my code... which really is the first thing you should learn. Without knowing HTML code (and maybe PHP if you want to get complicated), you will be dead in the water then you run into a problem that Dreamweaver or any other web design program can't fix visually.





Find a few suckers and present yourself as an expert, and you can make decent extra cash. Can you make a living? Well you need either a lot of clients or you need to be damn good.





And don't forget you are competing with hundreds of kids who have been coding since they were 7 or 8.

No comments:

Post a Comment