Wednesday, February 10, 2010

I'm a single person. I've heard it said, it's cheaper to eat out than cook? Is this true?

It depends on what you cook in VS what you eat out!! DuhhhhI'm a single person. I've heard it said, it's cheaper to eat out than cook? Is this true?
sometimes depending on what you order sometimes it can work out even dearer good meat isnt that expensive in the shops but get someone to cook it then it trebles in priceI'm a single person. I've heard it said, it's cheaper to eat out than cook? Is this true?
Sometimes, it is. But you have to watch what you buy. I prefer to buy some ready made meals or meats (like chicken) from the deli. It is not the best way to eat healthy.
actually its about da same
For me, I've learned it's cheaper to eat out because I will buy groceries and never get to them. Then I have to clean out the fridge etc etc. I just hit up a lot of buffets for lunch and get to go for dinner.
depends what you eat. maccas evry night might be cheaper. but not when u have to pay for it with obesity and health problems. choose healthy but cheap foods to cook. and you chould be fine.
When I was single, I still cooked. It's ';cheaper'; in the short run to buy tacos or whatever, but it's cheaper still to buy frozen burritos :)





The reason eating out is ';cheaper'; is because of wasted food. You don't waste as much when you have a bigger family, and you can almost always open a fifty cent can of corn to add an extra person to the meal. That much being said, the cost per serving goes down significantly when you actually divide the servings.





If you are able to discipline yourself to buying groceries from a shopping list and sticking to a menu plan, freezing leftovers in edible portions and buying only enough food to last you until it goes bad, it's significantly cheaper and healthier to cook despite the urban legend to the contrary.





Of course, it wouldn't be cheaper if you were eating steak every night, but you aren't eating steak out every night, either.





Foods that are always economical:





--canned tuna


--dried pasta


--canned and frozen vegetables


--ground beef


--garlic powder and dehydrated onions


--boxed mac and cheese -- even the fancy kind is cheaper than eating out at $1.50 a box.


-- the aforementioned frozen burritoes


--eggs


--bread


--dried beans


--whole chickens


--bags of frozen chicken leg quarters


--beef chuck roasts


--fresh potatoes


--mashed potato flakes


--canned peaches in a store brand


--bananas and apples


--tea bags


--Thinly sliced pork chops


--bacon


--hot dogs -- even the healthy ones





The only way that eating out is cheaper than cooking is if you aren't really cooking, but opening a bunch of boxes. For example, fancy seasoned one-serving frozen veggies plus hamburger helper plus a twenty ounce of soda costs more than a value meal to put together and has more waste than it would if you fed a family with the same meal. But, homemade stroganoff sauce can be divided into portions and frozen, reheated and poured over a fresh batch of pasta and served with steamed frozen broccoli with cheese over it and sweet tea, tastes infinitely better and is much cheaper than Taco Bell or Wendy's.





There are great sources out there to help you save money in the are of food, but the best source is you on an investigation of your local supermarket with the ad paper in hand, remembering to check the unit price.
It would depend on whether you are having a 3 course meal, or how lavishly you eat.
How hard is it to try it?
depends on what you are cooking I agree with the Guest MOM. I take leftovers for lunch, at night I cook for myself; my husband is gone weekdays but is home on the weekend. it costs him 15 to 30 dollars a day while he is gone. yet my cost at home is 40 dollars a week, and that includes him on Saturday and Sunday. while gone he will eat usually 2 meals per day, he eats at sit down waiter/waitress restaurants and also Subway, Hardees, BK , etc...I know if you choose wisely it is cheaper to cook at home. the cost of 3 pounds of Hamburger and a 12 pack of buns is not equal to 12 -1/4 pound hamburgers at McD's not even close. yes we do have these boxes in our homes usually with 2 doors on them; one is called a refrigerator and the other is called a freezer. get a local grocery flier, plan a menu using the foods that are on sale, follow your menu plan, not everything should be prepared ready made in our lives. cook ---you'll have some trash can meals, and some wonderful surprises at how good real home cooking can taste.
I think its the same but dont you think its kinda unhealthy eating out every single day?
Not for me. Better prepare your own food and you are also sure of their nutritional content. Eating outside will require you to pay for the tax and for the table you occupy. I cook once for a one day consumption and not to cook long because vegetables do not need so. It helps to be a vegetarian, so I cook very simple than what is normally done.





I noticed that when I eat outside, I tend to eat more than what I need. They prepare food so deliciously but not necessarily nutritious and I get tempted to eat with luxurious appetite.
I think it is true.


Especially if you make an arrangement with a hotel or restaurant to serve you with a meal every day. They might give you a discount or even serve you stews and other meals that they usually make for the staff.


Staff at hotel kitchens usually get a ';staff meal'; which is usually a stew or curry made from cheaper cuts of meat.


This prevents or curbs theft, so if you buy that instead of a la carte it will be cheaper than buying groceries.
  • scene hair
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment